27 Jun Down to earth, set to soar
It’s no secret that Busselton is set to boom. As Australia follows the global trend toward de-urbanization, towns like Busselton are experiencing a steady population increase comprised largely of young families and working professionals. Combine this trend with an ever-increasing number of tourists (thanks to this new airport serving as the gateway to Margaret River and beyond) and this once sleepy coastal town is waking up, fast.
As it does so, one ambitious venture is particularly well-placed and timed to capitalise on the collective zeitgeist: Origins Market.
Scheduled to launch in Spring 2021, this landmark destination will serve as an authentic one-stop market for foodies, families and anyone else looking for the very best local, sustainable produce and artisan products the South West has to offer.
Positioned adjacent to Busselton’s ALDI and K-Mart stores, foot traffic and its accompanying spending power is guaranteed. Yet although only a short walk from these retail giants’ brightly lit aisles and mass-produced products, Origins Market will offer a shopping and entertainment experience that is quite simply, worlds apart…
A market like no other
An oasis of the finest local, ethically-sourced produce and products will be housed in an all-weather environment that at once celebrates nature and genuine human connection.
“We’re creating a space that does not currently exist in Western Australia: a place for both local and visiting shoppers to engage with the region’s most celebrated farmers, producers, winemakers, artisans, and creators – all under one roof.” says Allan Erceg, the visionary behind Origins Market.
Origins Market at a glance
- Over 100 of Western Australia’s best producers, farmers, artisans and creators will all be under one roof.
- Apart from the individual stalls themselves, expansive open spaces, long communal tables, a children’s playground, as well as a variety of eateries, wineries, micro-breweries and distilleries from the region will ensure there is something for almost everyone.
- An interior urban garden will include local flora and edible herbs, providing an ever-changing and organic space within the market itself.
- Blurring the lines between production and consumption, consumers will get to connect more meaningfully with the origins of the produce and products they love.
- Technically housed indoors, a glass façade at the one end of the building, sky lights and a louvered section of roof, will ensure the brightness of an open-air market – come rain or shine.
- Rooftop urban bee hives will create a different kind of buzz.
- Immersive engagements will be spread throughout the marketplace, with opportunities for a rotating series of activations – from chef demonstrations to urban wine crushing.
What about Covid-19?
In response to the current Covid-19 crisis, Erceg predicts that more and more people will become increasingly aware of their food’s supply chain, and more determined than ever to support local producers and regain some kind of connection with the origins of the produce they consume.
“If the Covid-19 pandemic has taught us anything, it is that whilst globalisation has many benefits, cherishing and appreciating what is right in front of us, and what is produced locally, is far better for our health and our planet too,” says Erceg.
Waste not, want not
To this end, the market aims to set a new benchmark in terms of waste management and eco-friendly design and practice. In Erceg’s own words:
“We’re mindful of the fact that we’re making decisions that will last longer than we will. This increases our commitment to boosting local economies, supporting ethical practices and reducing food miles by investing in local produce.”
Cultivating local produce is one thing, but growing the local people and their small businesses is just as essential. To this end, Origins Market will have a business incubator programme with a fully licensed commercial kitchen onsite that small businesses can rent without needing to arrange additional licensing themselves.
How to get involved
Built on the foundations of genuine partnerships with government, industry and passionate local producers, Origins Market seeks to create a strongly networked community where visitors feel local and locals feel at home.
To find out more about becoming a partner, sponsor or vendor, don’t delay in getting in touch.